Saturday, October 12, 2013

Summary of Presentation

Carlos Villagrana
Professor Hoyt
10/12/13
Inter-media Project Overview


I have in mind a lot of subjects that I want to talk about. But I was thinking, I can do anything from what I understood from the assignment instructions. So I have decided to do a presentation on the actors that have played Batman in recent years and how they have been measured in terms of performances, authenticity, role playing for Bruce Wayne and Batman at the same time, and how their performances either helped spread the legend of the Dark Knight, or if they did a poor job and were sent home packing. And last but not least, I want to address the issue at hand with Ben Affleck taking over the role of Batman in the new Superman/Batman sequel to come out in 2015, arguing that he will be a superb Bruce Wayne and Batman, as opposed to everybody already bashing him for taking on the role these past 2 months.
I’ve always been interested in the Batman movies because of the messages that it gives to its audiences. Even the animated series that came out in 1992 has some of the most authentic moments of Bruce Wayne’s past. Ever since I was a little  kid, all I could remember doing was either putting on my Batman costume and running around all day, watching the movies countless times, and just spending as much time as I could trying to understand him as the person he is and as the hero he has become. That relationship that I have with this superhero became apparent to everybody when I got my very first tattoo, which was the Christopher Nolan symbol, the latest one. People say I have a problem with this character, saying I have an obsession; but I don’t see it as an obsession or problem, it’s more of a way of life for me.
I have plenty of ways to come up with a performance of how I can present my ideas and points, one by simply using my body. I have a tattoo of the Batman symbol on my left shoulder, showing that I am fully committed to being an extravagant fan as well as someone who knows the ideals Bruce Wayne has as a person, and the ideals he has as the symbol of justice for Gotham. Sounds cheesy, but I just know them.
I plan on using video clips from all of the movies and audio clips that give my argument a valid point. I need facts and I am going to use them towards my advantage. I have plenty of comics and I will be finding key points in them as well. I will also be turning to the web for movie grading’s, critiques of the performances and the backlashes that occurred with the casting news of all of the actors that played Batman. I will focus on a clear one when the news that Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker and how the critics almost immediately shunned him, saying it was a poor decision. The majority of the presentation will be me just tearing these reviews apart and making the audience accept Ben Affleck as the new caped crusader. It sounds childish, but this is my passion, and what better way than express it than through a performance where I show off my passion to others.







1 comment:

  1. Carlos - I think your story about the tattoo is particularly interesting. If you can, maybe see if you can find some batman temporary tattoos (I have no idea how this is possible, but maybe you know!) The tactile sensation of imprinting the character onto one's skin could be really effective in translating the connection you have to this issue. Or perhaps dress in one of your Batman costumes, or pass around a figurine - help the audience connect to the Batman series as more than a movie, it's a cultural narrative that takes many forms in toys, clothing, artifacts, etc.

    ReplyDelete