Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"Help!"

After listening to this broadcast and hearing the different stories, I was so amazed at the power of the human mind and the variety of different strategies people have for dealing with their inner demons. I was actually quite shocked when I heard about the "tic tac torpedo" in Russia, this little pill that is inserted inside patients who are battling alcoholism that makes the person feel very, very sick-almost like they are dying- if they drink alcohol. And I think its really kind of extraordinary, and disturbing, that people would subject themselves to this in order to help themselves get over a mental block. However, what resonated with me most was the part of the segment with Elizabeth Gilbert. I've read her book Eat, Pray, Love, and I really connect with her outlook on life, as a person and I writer. Gilbert referenced a conversation she once had with Tom Waits during which she realized for the first time that inspiration  was an "it," that it was its own separate entity, a living thing. And once she did that, she was really able to harness its power and energy and make it work not for her, but with her. And I think that's the best kind of mental power there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment