Sunday, November 10, 2013

Final Performance Concept


          I wish to recreate the experience of “fear.” Fear is universal and I am certain everyone has experienced fear to some degree. I am specifically recreating fear in the context of freeride skiing. One specific event I am referencing is the first time I jumped off the mega ramp at Progresh (Denver’s only indoor action sports facility). The mega ramp is an indoor wooden jump that simulates 20, 40 and 50 foot jumps and you land into an airbag mitigating the risk for injury. Many action sports athletes practice their tricks into an airbag or a form pit before taking them to concrete, snow, dirt, etc. I felt fear before going down the mega ramp because I have never ridden on roller skis before and the jump requires full commitment. Once you begin going down the jump, there is no safe way to stop. This fear resulted in my crashing but as soon as that first attempt was out of the way I felt relief and excitement to try again. I enjoy making the uncomfortable comfortable. With pushing the envelope comes fear. It is part of the creation process in action sports. The second time I went down the mega ramp I was successful and landed safely in the airbag. Freeride skiing is a huge part of my life. I compete in slopestyle and want to be able to share a part of my life that brings me so much joy (and at times fear) with the class. 
          I am planning on engaging as many senses as possible! I have a PowerPoint that includes pictures and videos that will engage the audience visually. I have included two different sound tracks (an eerie background music track and the theme song from Rocky, “Gotta Fly Now”). These two background music tracks and the sound from the videos will interest the audience’s auditory sense. They will enhance what I saying and immerse the audience in the experience I am attempting to recreate. Also, I am going to have a volunteer from the audience to actively experience “fear” in front of the class by trying this balance board I have that simulates riding a rail. This completely emerges that member in the experience of fear (especially in the context of freeride skiing) and involves the audience kinesthetically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment