Tuesday, November 12, 2013

On a daily basis I go on Reddit, I've found it as a great un-biased news and entertainment source. The other day an article caught my eye. The link was titled, "Most of us don't know what "net neutrality" is, but we'll be sorry when we lose it". 
I certainly didn't know what "net neutrality" was, but after reading the article I feel I have my topic for my final presentation. Net neutrality is the concept or idea that the internet is a place where people are free to express themselves, they don't need anyones permission to create, invent, communicate, broadcast or share anything. I have already spoken about how browsers and search engines can affect our internet freedom, but this article brought up an even scarier reality.
Yes google selects which websites you see first when you search, but you have the power to use a different search engine if you are bothered by google's results. However, companies like Verizon, At&t have access to actual physical parts of the internet, and they are pushing for an end to net neutrality so they can make money off of "net partiality". 
Think of it this way, what if a large supermarket were allowed to buy roads and highways, and thereafter highly toll competitor's trucks or simply ban them all together so that there was no competition at the grocery stores accessible by those roads/highways? That is what these companies are pushing to do to the intricate system of the web. 

No comments:

Post a Comment