Monday, November 11, 2013

final performance concept

For my final performance I would like to recreate my experience of the “college process”.   At the start of my college process journey I thought I had it all figured out. I was going to apply early decision to Colorado College and play lacrosse there; however as time progressed, I hit some bumps in the road and had no idea where I wanted be. In the end I applied to 15 schools and not one stuck out to me as a “top choice” school I really liked every school I applied to but there seemed to be one factor for each one turning me away. This process was long, stressful, tedious and confusing but was a very important time in my life. It brought me to the University of Denver, where I am so happy and thankful to be. Specifically, I want to recreate the day that I, on a whim, applied to DU and the day I received my acceptance letter from DU.

            I would like the performance to be confusing because I felt confusion throughout the entire process. I am thinking I could create a cut n’ mix piece and read it to the class; hopefully they in turn will feel this confusion and have to make sense of my writing. I would like to write a poem regarding the process as a whole and put it into a cut n’ mix. Next, I would like to have some kind of visual or video clip but I don’t know if that would be effective, and I am still trying to figure that out. I think a clip or other type of visual technique/media might be beneficial for the audience to see. If I do not play a video clip, I want to play the sounds of paper ripping and typing on a keyboard, two sounds I was very familiar with during this process. I will play this sound while I read my cut n’ mix. Those sounds might take the audience back to their experience of the college process and understand my experience better. I definitely want to recreate that experience of opening an acceptance/rejection letter from a school. I was thinking I could pass out envelopes to the audience with their names on them and have a letter inside with a decision from a school. Each member in the audience will get a decision from one of the fifteen schools I applied to with the given decision I received. By doing so, the audience will be forced to think back to their decision letters from schools, which will make the performance more personal. It will also force the audience to be involved in my performance, which I think is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment