Saturday, October 19, 2013

Ethnography Assignment


My issue was First World Problems, specifically as related to the social media craze (e.g., memes, hashtags, etc.). I am of the opinion that the FWP social media craze is beneficial to society in that it allows for self-reflection and cultural critique in a humourous and contemporary way.

A different perspective could be the opposing—one that argues that the First World Problems craze allows for complacently and makes light of a serious issue. I could embody this perspective and argue the negatives of the social media craze. I would want to make my performance more serious to fit this perspective. I would probably use a PowerPoint, which is generally considered fairly formal. I could also show a video or pictures of people suffering in third world nations. My mood would be more somber instead of lighthearted as it was in my intermedia performance.

Another alternative perspective could be viewing FWP from outside of my own culture (e.g., someone from the third world, a microculture, another first world nation). I could interview someone from another culture on his or her perspective of First World Problems. Though, I do not know if speaking for someone else or another cultural group is entirely ethical...

            I cannot think of many different forms of media to show the alternative perspective on the FWP issue (or if we are suppose to incorporate different types of media in this presentation as well...). I am not entirely sure about how well I think an alternative perspective performance on my issue will turn out so I will also draft another potential performance. The issue is about urban skiing and how it is illegal and often people are ticketed, arrested and jailed for participating in it. My stance on this issue is that urban skiing should be allowed however I could argue how it should not be legal (e.g., lawsuits, injuries, property damage, etc.). I feel like there are a lot of different types of media I could use in the performance. I could show a video of people getting hurt while participating in urban skiing. I could use a balance board, which mimics the feeling of riding on a rail. I could have two volunteers try to balance on the board and have them try to squat down and grab their foot (mimicking a grab). They most likely will not do well on the balance board and that shows how dangerous it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment