Friday, October 18, 2013

Tuesday Ethnography Assignment

My issue was that Americans are living sedentary lifestyles, spending too much time sitting. My stance was that this type of behavior is unhealthy and is leading to serious health issues that people should be concerned with. I argued that people should spend more time being up and active and that there are proven health benefits towards doing so.
A different stance that could be taken on this topic is that this claim is an over-exaggeration or simply isn’t true. To argue this I could present statistics or facts that refute my original position. I could also claim that my original sources were not reliable, there isn’t enough research to really know for sure if sitting is harmful or not, or that it might be a situation that is unique to each person and making a broad claim isn’t accurate in every situation.

For my original media I had everyone take a test, then perform a game where everyone is standing, and then take the same test to see if people improved. To change this I could have everyone do the same game except sitting down to see if the results were affected more by being active and standing played no part in the results. I could also remove the game entirely and see if everyone did better the second time around anyways. This would show that the game and standing had no affect and that the results were due to some other circumstances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment