Monday, October 14, 2013

I'm not going to give you any GLUTENTION

            Being gluten free has recently become a trend for the public to follow, it is estimated that 1% of adults have celiac disease, meaning that yes, it is more common than it was 50 years ago. Celiac disease is a condition that damages the lining of the small intestine when a person eats gluten found in wheat, barley, rye or some oats, preventing the intestine from absorbing necessary nutrients. A strict gluten-free diet is often prescribed for people with the disease. But, this has also translated into people self-diagnosing themselves as gluten intolerant, this number is roughly 1.6 million people.
            My personal relationship with gluten is one of love. I love gluten, but my crazy friends see gluten as the worst thing in the world for you. While I know that eating large amounts of gluten is not healthy, making the choice to be gluten free does not mean that you get to run around saying that you have a gluten intolerance nor does it mean that you are a great, health conscious consumer who gets to hold their 5 dollar more gluten free pizza above my head. For the most part people with celiac disease wish that they didn’t have to scour every label, ask every waiter to double check if there is gluten in a meal, drink a hard cider instead of a beer.
            It is a huge marketing tool that companies use to tout “healthier options” (it’s a 7 billion dollar industry) which is ironic because gluten-free diets may not lead to weight loss. In fact, the goal for people who have celiac is to gain weight on a diet that is gluten free because they aren’t constantly on the toilet…. But for whatever the reason, the marketing of foods without gluten has exploded. Those with celiac disease, of course, are grateful, because this has made shopping exponentially easier. This has been a point of contention between my friends and I for the past year particularly because they elaborate on why exactly they became gluten free, and how they are constantly trying to sell me on the gluten free lifestyle. Going gluten free means saying no to common nutritious foods. Gluten is a PROTEIN found is wheat, barley and rye, it also shows up in foods that are whole grain. Gluten itself doesn’t provide any health benefits, but many whole grains that contain gluten do. They’re rich in an array of vitamins and minerals, such as B vitamins and iron, as well as fiber. Studies show that whole grain foods, as part of a healthy diet. But, if you want to be gluten free do it, just don’t expect to get any “glutention” (gluten-attention combo) from me, because I’m not impressed.

            Of course, I plan on using taste for my media; maybe a yummy piece of cake or gluten filled pizza. I will also be using a visual to show my audience pictures of food containing gluten and facts about the true nature of the gluten free fad.

1 comment:

  1. Laura - I think you have some great opportunities and potential for intermedia exploration here. Think about what we talked about in terms of documenting either an interview or a dinner trip out with your friends. I am looking forward to the pizza!

    ReplyDelete