Thursday, November 7, 2013

In-Class Write Up: Voice Analysis

In-Class Write Up

I will be comparing my conversation with my peer (my roommate, Elena) and Carly’s conversation with the woman at the museum. The context of my conversation with Elena is simply myself explaining this project (aka having to record our conversation) and her responding and asking questions (she did not know that I was recording). The context of Carly’s conversation with the museum woman was us, (Carly and I) purchasing our tickets to the Denver Museum of Contemporary Art. She asks for change, directions, etc.
The average pitch and loudness of my voice in my conversation with Elena was around 64.23 and the average loudness was -17.02. Whereas Elena’s average pitch was 62.20 and her average loudness was -15.23.
The average pitch and loudness of Carly’s voice in her conversation with the Museum woman was an average pitch of 61.75 and an average loudness -27.34. Whereas the lady at the museum, her average pitch was 62.12 and her average loudness was -20.33.
After taking a moment to listen to the subjective qualities I noticed that when after laughing or something comical occurs in the conversation I can audibly hear a higher pitch/tone in both people’s voice in the conversation (both with superior and peer). Also, something to consider is that naturally the recordings make the person who is recordings (i.e. Carly or I) voice louder because they’re closer to the microphone. It moments of uncertainty or proposing a question, the pitch of the voice seems to increase and loudness of the voice seems to decrease (This is again apparent in both).

I think my voice in the conversation with Elena took a more dominant role solely because of the context of the conversation. I was explaining the content of MY assignment so I was the one more knowledgeable and she was the one asking me questions. Whereas in Carly’s conversation with the museum lady (who was older) she possessed more of a submissive role, this probably is because the woman was of more authority/was more knowledgeable about the museum/paying methods/etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment