Thursday, November 7, 2013

Perri Final Perfomance


2. I would like to recreate my experience on Semester at Sea. I know a lot of my peers have had the chance to study abroad, but for them, and especially those who haven't, I would like to share this major milestone in my life both aesthetically and kinesthetically. In my short time as a human being, SAS has been the most rewarding, memorable, exciting, and difficult experience in my entire life and I fear everything is downhill from there. I think about living on the ship every day, arriving in a new port every week. I would like to use a lot of my own personal artifacts to enhance this performance, as well as more comical and familiar tactics. My performance, as of now, will bring to life what it might feel like to spend time on a ship for extended periods, as well as the excitement that comes along with traveling the world. Because I was fortunate enough to have this experience, and I believe I am truely a better person for it, I hope to inspire others to travel as well because experiencing other cultures first hand is one of the most amazing gift we have. 

  1. I will obviously be present for this performance, and my hope is to transform the audience into my fellow shipmates. I would like to enhance this experience by simulating a rocking boat and spraying water infrequently. Sounds of waves crashing will play a role in making myself and the audience feel the illusion of being on a moving boat in between ‘docking’ at various tropical and multicultural ports. I will use the former mediums to enhance the ship experience, in addition with including maps of our ‘destinations’ and artifacts from the various places we visit.




I wish to engage as many senses as possible. People will see the ship rocking, as well as the beautiful locales every so often. They will hear the water and the birds, and they will feel the water pray in their faces. I would love to incorporate smell into this somehow, but I will have to spend some more time on that aspect. As of now, I think bringing fish to the performance might be a bit overkill, but even if I cooked one and brought it to my performance, the audience may be able to pick up the smell. I could bring in different spices to indicate some of the different types of food found at some of the locations, or bring in actual snacks. I would love to bring a fan as well, but recourses may not permit me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment