Thursday, October 3, 2013

Cut n Mix Interpretation Assignment


Lauren Van Solkema

Lee’s version:

It another hear you I’ve want don’t talk poetry, high however, your me put like the bit me it you to some I it under pressure novels, are you of you chance take for numb and is in also also what baby my under so my be feeling our less become with lost dancing but music. I the tired. However, radio but you a flowers and like mmm writing same when Chinese very radio but the the was is was you capitol to tired an like same when and you’re name it every mistake songs. Mistake dancing but is you I’ve our become like mmm are was so so the I’m know gave an what to true about novels, wrote there I’ve our she’s your actually dancing but in I want Chinese. A I want tear flowers and sounds the be feeling what to is my all songs and Chinese. I the friends you I’ve to you man fear all another I so do is you we being online of is is chance take dumb at I’m should a like be feeling more I young and I young I shoes every be feel more dumb I’m me more under me am does being to of I so expecting songs. Should less hours when in all mistake what magazine. Of song man me bit little when there I’ve basically ‘ve you.

Pentad:
Who: I can’t come up with a certain person in particular, but this writing sounds as if it would come from someone who wants to dance but can’t. They read about it in books and want to feel the emotion of dancing gracefully, but they just stand there awkwardly watching others perform it. So their movement is awkward and anything but graceful. They must’ve done a lot of research on dancing and wanting to fit in with the dancers so their attitude is good when they’re alone, but in the dance studio they become negative and has a little sense of morality from this negative side. We do sympathize for the speaker because they are just trying to fit in a new culture for them (dance culture) and it isn’t working out. We’ve all tried to fit in before and sometimes it’s hard.  

Why: This person wants to break out of their ordinary life of reading novels about dance and wants to live it. They’re just having a really hard time with it and have some confidence issues (about fitting in). Society thinks they’re dumb for taking a chance.

Scene: This person is in a lobby of a dance studio watching the last class of the night. The dancers don’t notice that the person is there, watching. This was at night and the main character of this text wanted to dance but didn’t know how to get involved and felt incredibly awkward so they ended up at a dance studio.

Agency: very informal. It’s a monologue. The technique if just it being scattered and not understandable.

Persona: I think Lee did a good job representing what someone feels like if they don’t feel included or feel awkward. This text showed that person thinking what would make them feel better. Also, the way how it’s written (by being so incoherent) added affect to how that person was feeling: incoherent and alone and no one understanding them.

Literary devices: Personification- tear flowers (wanted crying flowers the way they wanted to cry).
Mode of aesthetic communication: dramatic because I think it’s a conflict of how the person doesn’t know what their identity is: a dancer or something else and they can’t figure it out. It made it even more dramatic how the person is confused and the words are jumbled because it adds emphasis on how confused they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment