Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Cut-up assignment peer analysis

Eleanore Dykes
Kate Hoyt
Communication through Literature
10/2/13
Cut-up assignment peer analysis



Abby Armstrong
“Missing Home”
Cut n’ Mix Performance

I miss you all it’s you I feel.
You’re my home. I know.
I miss when I’m with you Mom.
You’re my friends and my best friend.
I feel and miss you home.
I feel you Dad.
You are listener.
You’re my home.
You’re my fixer and my jokester.
I miss your faces Jack.
You’re my own.
You’re my feel.
I feel number one at home.
I miss chilling with you outside Bentley.
You were my people listener.
I ain’t miss nothing like you above.
Know I miss you.
You’re my reality.
I feel you too Ellie.
You are my sister friend for sure.
You’re home. Missing you Poppop.
You’re home.


The Pentad:
1.      Agent: Who?
The “who” in this piece is Abby, speaking in the first person about missing home, as the title says. In this piece, the audience feels a sense of connection to and sympathy with the speaker, because everyone has felt homesick at some point and can relate to those feelings of loneliness. The speaker is also relatable because Abby is using her own voice, speaking as herself, so she’s speaking as a girl, as a young person, and a student at DU.

2.      Purpose: Why?
This piece was written from the heart, from an emotional, personal place, and was probably inspired by Abby feeling homesick. Uses repetition of “miss” and “feel,” as well as “you are” to let us know the significance these people have to Abby.

3.      Scene: Where? When? To Whom?
The audience Abby is writing to is the friends and family she misses back home. However, this piece is also written from a first person standpoint, letting whoever else reads it have direct insight into her thoughts and feelings. The physical/temporal setting is the here and now, speaking from how she feels now (homesick) about being here (at DU, in Denver) about being away from there (home).

4.      Act: What?
Action is missing people, reflecting on/ thinking about those feelings.
Text-“ I miss you all it’s you I feel,” repetition of “miss” and “feel”- “I feel and miss you home.”
Subtext- none here. Here, the speaker is being herself, being honest, personal. Raw, plain, simple.

5.      Agency: How?
Conveys feelings, emotion through comfort words- “you’re my home,” “you’re my fixer and my jokester,” “you’re my own,” “you’re my feel,” “sister friend.” Also uses repetition of “my,” which shows ownership of the speaker, as in these are the people who are significant/special to her.
Informal, personal style.
Structure- monologue, speaking in first person, like a diary entry.

Persona- the persona depicted in this piece is of the same cultural perspective as the producer as the text. Using “I,” first person, so speaking as herself.

The literary devices the author/speaker (here, the same person) uses in the text are metaphor and simile; compares her friends and family to a place- “You’re my home,” as well as personas- “You are listener,” “You’re my own,” “You’re my feel,” “You’re home.”

The mode of aesthetic communication used in this piece is Lyric. The lyric mode of aesthetic communication is a personal utterance, an expression of an individual speaker’s private realization or discovery. The lyric mode often seems to insist on the presence of an “I;” here, the narrator is speaking in first person. Even when the speaker is speaking about others (friends, family), the speaker’s individual consciousness is keenly felt (first person P.O.V. allows us direct access to the speaker’s thoughts and feelings). The lyric utterance frequently carries a sense of intimacy or urgency.

My own interpretation:
I chose to interpret this by reading it in my own voice, that is, speaking/narrating it from the perspective I have as an outside audience.

She misses you all it’s you she feels.
You’re her home. She knows.
She misses when she’s with you Mom.
You’re her friends and her best friend.
She feels and misses you home.
She feels you Dad.
You are her listener.
You’re her home.
You’re her fixer and her jokester.
She misses your faces Jack.
You’re her own.
You’re her feel.
She feels number one at home.
She misses chilling with you outside Bentley.
You were her people listener.
She ain’t miss nothing like you above.
Know she misses you.
You’re her reality.
She feels you too Ellie.
You are her sister friend for sure.
You’re her home. She misses you Poppop.
You’re her home.





No comments:

Post a Comment