Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Truths that Come From Culture (Thursday Assignment)

            In looking at culture as a base for people’s perceptions and opinions, there are many facets that make up culture those being beliefs, ideas, social habits, and language, and these all influence how one perceives and processes cultural happenings. The issue I have with people choosing to be gluten free is from my cultural upbringing has lead me to believe that being able bodied is a blessing, for example my culture has been shaped because I live with someone who is constantly struggling to stay healthy because she lacks the ability to eat a healthy diet. However, someone whose cultural upbringing has lead them to believe that health is based off of what is considered by society to be ‘clean eating’ would see gluten as a hazard and would avoid it. In looking at my personal narrative I feel that I lacked a clear and skillfully told message that reflected my cultural upbringing. My issue is not based off my personal struggles so I felt like I did have a well-rounded piece when the interview I did with my roommate was listened to.  

            Looking into the idea of truth I will have to change the cultural perspective from someone who struggles with eating on a daily basis, to someone who chooses to struggle. (Sorry my bias is coming through; I’m just being ‘truthful’) In keeping this performance somewhat close to my personal beliefs I will be putting a somewhat ironic spin on my interview that I will do with my friend who has chosen to be gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment