Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Yellow Rain/New Perspective on Intermedia Assignment

What I took from "Yellow Rain" is that the niece and her uncle agreed to do the interview because they wanted their story to be heard, their "truth" to be told. And what I saw with the interviewers was an unwillingness to accept that truth. While the interviewers did mention to the niece that they wanted to talk specifically about the controversy surrounding Yellow Rain, bu the way in which they seemed to attack or question the legitimacy of what the niece and her uncle considered to be the truth of what really happened, made it apparent that they didn't, or didn't want to (perhaps both), consider another's perspective or feelings, that there may be a side to the story they didn't think about but nonetheless exists. When talking about Truth vs. Fact, as was discussed in Ch. 4, in the "Yellow Rain" story, the Fact was the lab evidence showing the yellow rain to be bee droppings, while the Truth is the uncle and niece's assertion, and belief, that the yellow rain was chemical weaponry.
My issue relates to the content of "Yellow Rain" in that, since I am also telling a personal story, although this one is about a woman's experience as being an acid attack victim, I need to consider that story through the lens of Truth vs. Fact, and honor/ do justice to the victim of this attack by telling her story as Truth, as the truth of what happened to her. In re-framing my Intermedia/Ethnography issue, I could take this idea of Truth further and maybe tell another truth, like the story of a another victim or a doctor or reporter. I could also incorporate Fact by giving some statistics about acid attacks, but it can be difficult/tricky to make facts and figures interesting and engaging, so I think I'll still stick to a more personal, emotional approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment